Failed to connect to FTP Server WordPress 2.7 – Auto Update

by on December 16, 2008

I seem not to be able to find the issue with a little annoying bug?
wp27au Failed to connect to FTP Server WordPress 2.7   Auto Update

I fight with in the new WordPress 2.7 automated update for plugin setting panel.

Although I’m 100% positive the ftp info is right, I get the error message saying it failed to connect. Double checked with my usual ftp client works like a charm. Did some research and found this thread not much help so….

Anybody had the same issue and found the cure? Please do let me know.

This post was written by...

– who has written 270 posts on LocallyType*.

OSS (Operating Systems & Services Evangelist at Microsoft formerly consultant at Valopex, Co-Founder Ypeas.com, Author & Speaker , ex Yahoo! Local & Maps / Answers, C64 Fanboy

Contact the author

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

Johannes December 16, 2008 at 10:36 am

Does your webserver/firewall allow outgoing connections?

Frank Fuchs December 16, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Good point – not really sure about this will need to check.

ebta December 18, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Yes, I have the same problem with you. Does anybody has found the answer ?

stephen December 23, 2008 at 12:40 am

I have uploaded wp 2.7 on two different servers, a Linux and a Mac, fine with the first, uploading problems with the second. Con only deduce that thacould be the problem

Me January 16, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Try writing only the name of your domain (for example “locallytype.com”). Wordpress is supposed to automatically locate the installation paths. Works for me, and I’m using Plesk. But I have another problem with PCLZIP which I just can’t solve :-(

suz February 2, 2009 at 1:23 am

I am having the same problem

Kuraattori February 11, 2009 at 12:13 am

I had the same problem, many many times. One of my blogs on the same server had none of these issues, so I wondered if it really has anything to do with any ftp-credentials or server settings. I checked the group and file owners, and found out that even the parent directory of my blog had an effect on automatic upgrade. Immediately after I chgrp’d my blog’s parent directory so that apache could write to that too, all the problems went away. Could be just a fluke in my case since I really don’t understand why that would matter, but since this is really annoying problem, I thought this _could_ be of some help to someone.

John February 14, 2009 at 1:51 am

Hey guys… this has been bothering me since I upgraded to 2.7.

I just got it working by using the “reset file permissions” option in the back-end of my hosting service… network solutions. I blogged about it here…

I hope this helps someone.

Kevin March 3, 2009 at 4:55 am

Hostname: try using localhost or localhost:21
User: Your normal FTP Username
Pass: Your normal FTP Pass.

If successful, your screen will go blank for a little while during the upgrade and then you will be fine.

Good luck!

Sherman Cox March 7, 2009 at 3:01 pm

That localhost thing worked for me…Thanks…it was workign and just stopped working…

Person March 11, 2009 at 6:22 am

It’s bug in the WordPress code, although I suspect they’re not ready to admit it yet. They check not to see if the update can correctly install the files, they check to see if the owner of a test file created is the same as the directory owner.

So they’re failing out on updates that by all rights are working correctly.

Antonis April 1, 2009 at 9:36 am

Thanx Kevin! localhost:21 worked for me too!

Mj May 16, 2009 at 10:10 am

I have read in wordpress forum that localhost worked for them. But in my case its localhost:21

Thanks!

rahul September 14, 2009 at 6:59 pm

@kevin
thnx……..it worked

Andrrew October 26, 2009 at 6:47 pm

Stephen, Did you manage to get it working on the Mac? as I have the same issue using Wp on my hard drive for testing.

Cheers,

macsolvers February 5, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Entering localhost or localhost:21 in the Connection Information screen didn’t work for me. I’m running WP 2.9. I checked permissions for the WordPress folder and it’s set as 755. I changed it to 775 and obtained the same feedback (Username/Password incorrect for …). I replaced wp-config.php with a fresh copy and still get the same password error. Thoughts?

JM March 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm

The localhost solution just worked for me – many thanks!

Mohit Sharma April 13, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Kevin thanks works :-)

Erwin July 20, 2010 at 9:30 pm

The localhost work for me!!! ty

Tom August 16, 2010 at 11:09 am

That’s great. I used localhost:21 and it worked fine.

Joost August 23, 2010 at 4:02 pm

For the people who are still strugling with it, i used 127.0.0.1

This is mostly the localhost IP.

jigga September 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm

KEvin – legend. it worked:
“This is a solution that often works with Plesk install of wordpress for updating from within WP.

Hostname: try using localhost or localhost:21
User: Your normal FTP Username
Pass: Your normal FTP Pass.”

juicyjamie89Jamie July 21, 2013 at 5:38 am

localhost, localhost:21, localhost:22 all do not work for me. I am pulling my hair out. Can someone please offer a different solution. Many thanks.

a August 9, 2013 at 9:16 am

localhost worked for me. Thank you!!!

alemao February 27, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I had the same problem when updating to version 3.8.1 as well as when installing themes and/or plugins and I also was already pulling my hair out.
I am using Linux Mint 14 with a local webserver.
Finally after I had changed the permissions with “sudo chown -R www-data:www-data * ” and entered “localhost” “www-data” as username and password on the ftp connection screen it worked.
From now on I can update and install themes and/or plugins via webinterface without any problems.